Monday, October 24, 2011

Skirt

When I was six, my 13 year old cousin would baby sit us kids. She would make clothes for her little sister's Barbie dolls. I don't know if I was amazed that the dolls had such a vast wardrobe, or that my cousin could make such tiny clothes, but I have always been inspired by my cousin and that childhood memory. My mom taught me how to sew when I was twelve. I hate following patterns. I get too impatient. I get lost, just like when I'm on those automated phone menus. I always have to call back because I miss the options from not listening. Anyway, I am able to sew dresses and girl clothes without following a pattern pretty easily. Once you get into arm sleeves, zippers and crotches it gets very complicated. I went to the Fabric Depot last week and saw this cute skirt sample hanging up. I didn't buy the pattern, so I probably got the measurements wrong, but it turned out cute anyway. I had some leftover material and made a matching rose hair clip.
My mom crocheted the sweater. Not sure if it matches the skirt, but I couldn't find a blouse that went with it. Here's a close-up of the cute material. It's got Asian writing and daffodils. The long petticoat is a darker contrast with a design that looks similar to hearts. The ribbon accent is pink & green grosgrain ribbon from Michael's Craft store.
I was able to sew this in one day. I'm not sure if I would have saved time by following the pattern. Yes, I had to figure out all my own measurements, but I didn't have to pin the pattern to the material, cut and then read step by step confusing instructions. I like figuring it all out on my own anyway. It keeps things challenging.

No comments:

Post a Comment